Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mothers Away from Home


‘Beauboeuf-Lafontant (2002) reported the Black teachers view “mothering as a communal responsibility” (p. 76) and an act of service.’ – Sunny-Marie Birney

In her passage Voices of Our Foremothers: Celebrating the Legacy of African American Women Educators Sunny-Marie Birney credits her African American teachers and professors for bonding with her and providing her with the care that allowed her to find her identity as a young Black woman. Because she was adopted by a White family, Birney felt as if she were missing a part of her essence as an African American. This part of her article stood out to me because of my past experience with teachers whom I have built strong bonds with. However I do not believe that it is only Black teachers who have the ability to provide their students with a motherly bond because I have experienced otherwise.
Growing up I had a slight issue with authority. When being disciplined by teachers I was known for replying with the response “I don’t have to listen to you, you’re not my mother!” I would say this to Black and White teachers alike, never feeling any ties in either situation. Even as I grew older and grasped the fact that respect is not only to be given to parents but to anyone who you wish to receive it from, I still had very distant relationships with my teachers. It was not until I got into the 11th grade that I formed a special relationship with a teacher. I was able to talk to her about any and every thing and she eventually became my “mother away from home”, setting the same standards for me as her own children. The only difference between Birney’s relationship with her teachers and my relationship with mine was that my teacher was Italian. This is why I believe that these relationships can be formed where ever one happens to be looking. Birney happened to be looking for a connection to her culture and found it with her Black teachers, while I happened to be seeking guidance as a young woman in general and found it in a wise woman with perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment