Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Door To Success


After reading the article, To Be Black, Female, and Literate: A Personal Journey in Education and Alienation by Leonie C. R. Smith, I realized that everyone’s life journey are not the same. Though our paths may be different, we may have a different family structure, or have cultural differences, we can still relate to each other on some level. Through out this article, I was able to connect with the writer in two main areas. First, her value of education and second when she asks the question, “What it means to be black in America?”
Education is said to be the door of success and opportunity. Through education one can obtain a well-paying job, and relieve financial hardship. In the article, Smith states, “My mother also passed on the importance of education as a vehicle to becoming independent and self- sufficient.” The importance of education was stressed in my household, as well. My grandmother was the oldest of 13 and she spent her days working and nurturing her children. Though my grandmother did not attend college, she knew the importance of education and she put all her six children through college. With this instilled background of education my mother wants me to work hard and also, receive an education, obtain my masters and PhD, as well as travel the world. My mother’s main dream is for me to experience all that she was not able to.
Later in the reading Smith decides to continue her education in America and later enrolls in a predominately white institution. It was in this new environment where Smith started to ask the question: What does it mean to be Black in America? While her school focused on the basic science and math, there was no class that tailored to her blackness and African Diaspora. I am proud to attend a school that is tailored to my needs as a Black woman. I know that there is a place here for me were I am not judged based on the color of my skin but, valued based on my character. Attending Spelman College, has giving me the opportunity to continue my education with students who look like me and have similar experiences as I do. This might be the one time in my life where I am surrounded positive, Black females and I am thankful for this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment